Friday, November 19, 2010

Reputation Intact, Scott Gordon Will Get Another Opportunity

Filed under:

When he was fired Monday morning, Scott Gordon did not take long to contemplate an offer from the New York Islanders to stay on as a team adviser.

"It was an easy decision," Gordon told NHL FanHouse in a telephone interview on Tuesday. "There was absolutely no reason for this not to continue amicably between me and management."

Still, with most of the final season of Gordon's three-year employment agreement essentially void since he would no longer be coaching, the 46-year-old Gordon could have walked away quietly, collected a paycheck and taken time to be with his family in Atlanta while immediately beginning the search for a new job. But that apparently is not in his nature. He accepted a role as adviser to general manager Garth Snow.

"You still want to be involved, you want to be part of the team," said Gordon. "Of course, there's disappointment, but I'm not about to run and hide and sulk. If I can still help Garth and help the team, I want to. You have to remember, it was (owner) Charles Wang and Garth who gave me my first opportunity as an NHL head coach. I'm always going to be grateful to them for as long as I'm here, and I always will should I eventually land someplace else."

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Tom Howard Roger Huerta Matt Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment